27 December 2017

Christ as Lord


I once read about a metaphor Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, had described. In this metaphor Bill described a throne in our life. All our life decisions are controlled from this throne. As a non-Christian, we sit on that throne making all our decisions under our own power. However, when we become a Christian, we give up our place on that throne to Christ so that he is the one making the decisions. I tried to live like this, with Christ on my throne. Soon, however, I realized that most of the time I would occupy the throne until my life was in a mess. Then I’d try to get off the throne, so Christ could take his place there. This was a constant struggle for me.

Later, I read a book by Andrew Murray called “Absolute Surrender.” In that book, Murray said we were to live our lives in absolute surrender to God. He portrayed absolute surrender like a general in the field surrendering everything to the conquering general, material things and lives. He even pointed out that in our own power we couldn’t do that, but we could ask for the power of the Holy Spirit to enable us to live in absolute surrender. I started trying to live my life surrendered to God. I was more successful, but I still found myself returning to living like I was in control. I made choices according to my desires, took credit for successes and blamed failures on someone or somthing other than me.

Recently I’ve been reading a book by John Bevere titled “Good or God.” Bevere makes the point that many of us become Christians by taking the step of accepting Christ as our lord and savior. When we accept the gift of that atoning sacrifice we also accept his lordship over our lives. However, what happens typically is we acknowledge our need to be saved from the consequences of our sins, but forget about Christ being Lord. We continue living our lives as we have in the past comfortable that our sins are forgiven. We are living only half of the declaration we made when we became a Christian.

Bevere points out that being Lord of our lives is Christ’s position, his title. Christ performing the atoning sacrifice on the cross, paying for the consequences of our sins once for all, was a single action our loving Lord performed on our behalf. 

That observation by Bevere suddenly opened my eyes. I had been mostly unsuccessful at staying off the throne in my life and struggled to live a surrendered life. The reason was, I hadn’t seen these as aspects of living my life with Christ as my Lord. With Christ as Lord, the throne of my life is his, not mine. With Christ as Lord, I surrender my life to him as my Lord. I picture this much like the medieval lords holding absolute control over their people. But unlike those mortal rulers who abused their subjects, I see Christ as a beneficent ruler, desiring only the best for me. I can trust him to provide for me, to properly guide me in my life, and most importantly to love me. After all, he did choose to perform that horrendous task of being the atoning sacrifice for my sins out of obedience to the Father and out of his love for me.

I still have those times when I find myself on the throne, making my own choices, and my life a dreadful struggle. Upon realizing what I’ve done, I quietly get off the throne and re-surrender my life to Christ as his not so humble servant. And just as quietly, he resumes his place on the throne and proceeds to clean up the mess I’ve made in my life. Things are so much better when he’s in charge. I just need to rely on the power of the Holy Spirit to keep the prideful, rebellious nature I have from getting in the way of living my life in the proper relationship to Christ, my LORD and savior.


Father, thank you for never giving up on me. You have repeatedly brought to me writings that have pointed me toward the path you have laid out for me. Holy Spirit thank you for using your power in my life to make the changes needed for me to be a useful servant to my lord, Jesus. And, Jesus, my lord and savior, thank you for continuing to be my lord, patiently waiting for me to get out of the way when I take it upon myself to try governing my life. Jesus, you are my Lord. All that I am and all that I have are yours. Use me in whatever way to further the Father’s kingdom on earth. My desire is to be a tool in your hands to perform your will. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, you bless me more than I deserve and shape me to be more than I can be on my own. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment